Monument record WSF 040 - Does Mill, Mill Farm. (PMed)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0129 7451 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||WATTISFIELD, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Windmill mound or platform, known as Does Mill, bulldozed away in October 1962. The mound was made up of mixed clays and in the upper portion, Georgian pottery was found and taken to Watsons Potteries. The lower portion contained prehistoric flints, Basil Brown's 6 inch OS map, 1905, shows the windmill to be disused at this date (S1).
Shown as post mill on Hodskinson's 1783 map (S2). Marked as circular building with surrounding partially circular boundary, & named as `windmill (disused)' on 1904 OS map (S3).
The (same?) windmill is mentioned in a will of the Doe family of 1727 and is believed to have remained in the family up until its destruction (S4) in February 1914. The roundhouse remained until 1962 (S5)(S6).
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: card index, map.
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, card index 413, map 23a.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: letter to Mrs Reid.
- <S2> SSF7563 Cartographic materials: Hodskinson, J.. 1783. The County of Suffolk surveyed.
- <M3> SSF44416 (No record type): Mills file: copy (S5)(S6).
- <S3> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1:2500 map, 1904.
- <S4> SSF17572 (No record type): Reid Mrs, July 1996.
- <S5> SSF5272 (No record type): Dolman P C J, letter to SAU, 1990.
- <S6> SSF6501 (No record type): Flint B, Suffolk Windmills, 1979, 141.
- <S7> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey.
- <S8> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S9> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. BF005809 WINDMILL WATTISFIELD, WATTISFIELD.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2021 10:02AM