Monument record FRK 002 - 'by Mortimers Lane'
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6641 7212 (50m by 51m)|
|Civil Parish||FRECKENHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Coin hoard circa 90 gold Iceni staters, in a handmade shouldered pot with scored/scratched exterior, pot lost (S5, illustrated). Two 'early' type staters, rest 'Freckenham' series, dated approximately AD 0-25 (S7).
Found at Freckenham in 1885 "by a labourer working in his own garden, who in digging came across a small urn of imperfectly burnt clay in which there appear to have been about 90 coins of somewhat base gold" (S1,R3,R6). `The finding of this hoard was kept secret, the collection became distributed and the coins disposed of... some secured by the British Museum, the rest found their way into two or three well-known collections' (S3).
Findspot according to OS 25" map (S2). Further details and references in (S1,S6).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL67SE29.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- <S3> SSF3025 Bibliographic reference: Callard E. 1924. The Manor of Freckenham.
- <S4> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. Victoria County History, Suffolk (VCH). 276.
- <S5> SSF16639 Article in serial: Evans J. 1888. Thursday, February 9th, 1888. Proc Soc Antiq, 2nd S, 12, 1888, 84, pot (ill)..
- <S6> SSF12157 Article in serial: H. Montagu. 1886. FIND OF ANCIENT BRITISH GOLD COINS IN SUFFOLK. Num Chronic, 3rd S, 6, 1886, 231 Plate II.
- <S7> SSF202 Article in serial: D. F. Allen. 1970. Coins of Iceni. Allen, Coins of Iceni, Britannia, 1, 1970, 1-33.
- <S8> SSF3687 Article in serial: Clarke R R. 1939. The Iron Age in Norfolk and Suffolk II. Clarke R, IA in Norf & Suff, 1939.
- <S9> SSF6065 Bibliographic reference: Evans J. 1890. Coins of the Ancient Britons, Supplement. Evans J, Coins of the Ancient Britons, Supplement, 1890, 578-583.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Dec 16 2020 4:56PM