Monument record RGV 008 - Gallows Hill

Please read our .

Summary

Tumulus on mound marked on OS 1st edition map, 1837-1840, since removed.

Location

Grid reference Centred TM 0392 7833 (50m by 50m)
Map sheet TM07NW
Civil Parish REDGRAVE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK

Map

Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Tumulus on mound marked on OS 1st edition map, 1837-1840, since removed. OS advised by B Brown of site in 1950 after a visit there in August of that year, when it was sited on a property known as Charters Towers. Site visited 18/5/1978 by SAU (E Martin); area had been extensively quarried and is now woodland. No trace of a tumulus. Name Gallows Hill still known locally (S1, S2).
For finds said to be from Gallows Hill see RGV 004 & 005.

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <R1> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, cards TM07NW6,48.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: card index, map.
  • <S1> Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, card index 245, map 22.
  • <S2> Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. list.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

Record last edited

Sep 24 2012 10:18AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.