Monument record WTM 011 - Church of St Mary; Church of St Thomas & St Mary
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0834 7881 (89m by 123m)|
|Civil Parish||WORTHAM, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Church of St Mary (otherwise St Thomas & St Mary). Church has largest round tower in England, 29 feet in diameter, circa 62 feet high, top collapsed in 1780 (S1).
1086: Two churches (with 40 acres)- see also WTM 008 - lands of Ralph de Bella Fago. Two rectories existed here until 1769: (1) Wortham Eastgate (area around Wortham Hall), also known as W Jervis (from George Jervys, rector in 1535, Valor Ecclesiasticus); (2) Wortham Southmore (area around Long Green), also known as W Everard (from George Heverrarde, rector in 1535). Both rectories seem to have been combined for some considerable time in the same church, finally amalgamated under Rector of Eastgate.
1785: South Rectory was demolished, stood 'above a mile' from the church and was built of stud and clay-work and covered with thatch - consisted only of a kitchen and washhouse with chambers over and `was in a very ruinous and decayed condition' (S2)(S3)(S4).
Tallest and narrowest in East Anglia (S5).
Note Lsax/Emed burials to NW - WTM 012.
- <S1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N & Radcliffe E, The Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1974, 507-8.
- <S2> SSF7231 (No record type): Hancock W B, Church of St Mary the Virgin, Wortham, An Outline of its History (pamphlet), circa 1970.
- <S3> SSF22088 (No record type): The Rectories and Rectors of Wortham, E Anglian Miscellany, 1920, 41, number 5747f.
- <S4> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE30.
- <S5> SSF50284 Bibliographic reference: Harris, B.L.. 2006. Harris's Guide to Churches and Cathedrals.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Mar 3 2015 12:40PM