Monument record BUR 012 - Moatyards
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0969 7600 (429m by 352m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BURGATE, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Med moated area, 180 feet x 322 feet, near spring on meadow known as Moatyards. Close to parish boundary, isolated. Excavation trials by Basil Brown in 1934/1935 revealed EMed pottery, including large part of plate - said by IPSMG to date circa 1300 - found at depth of two and half feet to three feet. The owner and farmer circa 1890, Mr Simpson made a few excavations and his daughter told Brown that burials had been found (S1)(S2)(S3).
Further ?ditches shown on APs (S4).
- <S1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Brown B, V,45; XCIII,41; XCIV,43; XCVI,55,88; cards 77,78; map 32.
- <M1> SSF50035 Unpublished document: Basil Brown. Basil Brown Archive. Basil Brown archive: volumes, card index, map.
- <M2> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP BPH 78-79.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM07NE15.
- <S3> SSF18161 (No record type): SAU (Plouviez J), SMR card.
- <S4> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs BPH 78-79; RAF CP6/UK/1937 S154-155 (K Blood).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 19 2014 2:10PM