Monument record SNT 007 - Stanton Upthorpe Windmill
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 9713 7330 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Stanton Upthorpe Windmill. Listed (II*) and Scheduled (May 1977).
Marked on OS 1:10560 and 1:10000 but SAU has no further information from OS.
The last post mill of the Norfolk type in existence complete. This characteristic type, just S of the border from Norfolk, was once very numerous and all except one dangerously ruinous example have now disappeared. This mill could be restored to working order (S1).
Nov 1983: Spoke to Mrs Adams. They seem proud to own the monument and are slightly concerned about its condition. The roof has been repaired with corrugated iron but the staircase is in bad condition. They warn visitors (whom they welcome) of the dangers. There are two oil storage tanks built in front of the brick base, which rather spoils the aspect of the site. Brick in fair condition. No signs of serious faults in wooden cladding (S1). DOE (IAM) gives NGR of TM 972 734, but appears as 9713 7330 on their maplet.
Mar 1986: consent for repair works granted.
Aug 1999: consent for repair works granted.
Post mill with roundhouse, dated 1807. It ceased work in 1920 but was restored in 1939 by the SPAB. It never worked as intended and now stands derelict with two clipped sails and the fantail removed. There are two pairs of stones in the head and a third was once driven by belt in the tail. The mill contains the last remaining wooden upright shaft in a post mill in the country. There were four patent sails (S2).
It ceased work circa 1945 (S3). Now restored to working order.
Dated 1751 but not on present site until circa 1820, i.e. moved from unknown site elsewhere (S4)(S7).
Report held by Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society (S5).
For detailed plot see OS 1880s & 1904 maps (S6).
- <M1> SSF39879 (No record type): SAM file :.
- <S1> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <M2> SSF39880 (No record type): Mills file: (S1)(S2)(S3).
- <S2> SSF50128 Bibliographic reference: Dolman, P. 1978. Windmills in Suffolk: a contemporary survey. 46.
- <S3> SSF6481 Unpublished document: Flint,B.. 1979. Suffolk Windmills.
- <S4> SSF5268 (No record type): Dolman P C J, letter to SAU.
- <S5> SSF50007 Serial: Suffolk Industrial Archaeological Society Newsletter. No 61, 1998.
- <S6> SSF50026 Map: OS. OS Map. OS, 1880s & 1904, maps.
- <S7> SSF58725 Newsletter: Gosling, J.. 2018. Eavesdropper No.57 Spring 2018.
- <S8> SSF59798 Article in serial: A, A. Bryan. 1998. Windmill gazetteer for England.
- <S9> SSF59796 Bibliographic reference: R, J. Brown. 1976. Windmills of England.
- <S10> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S11> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. BF005545.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 7 2021 10:46AM