Monument record SLY 032 - Martello Tower 'L'
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 2483 3365 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||SHOTLEY, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
One of the Napoleonic E Coast towers built between 1810-1812, larger and later than those on the S coast.
1860, the tower and its associated battery were re-armed as a result of renewed fears of french invasion, the gunns werefinally withdrawn from the tower in 1880 (S3)(S5).
1977: This is one of two within the recently closed HMS Ganges training establishment, once linked together by other C19 fortifications (parts of which are discernible in the accretion of modern naval training works, but not worth scheduling). Tower 'L' is one of the longer type with moat and outer glacis. The moat has been filled up to the level of the original entrance. Glacis landscaped into garden. One window enlarged to make another entrance. Exterior pebble rendered. On top a mast and water tank, but beneath these probably not much altered. One cannon set upright with pivot in nozzle. Interior not inspected.
1981: Exterior in good condition. Ground floor central pillar brick construction (as Shingle Street, Bawdsey), water tank and mast still on roof. Cannon not now evident. Moat area nettle and scrub covered with considerable amount of rubbish tipping (mostly wood).
1985: Some original openings bricked up. Tower surmounted by mast and water tank, and radar arm plus occasionally manned lookout for Harwich harbour. Some rubbish in interior. Immediately surrounding area includes derelict garage and is overgrown with nettles, grass and brambles (S1). 1991: Bottom `ring' intact, surmounted by a water tower painted green (S2).
2006: it as noted that the moat around the tower had been infilled and that there were surviving remains of the battery (S4).
- <M1> SSF43213 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF21764 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc, (Paul Edwards) Survey, Table of Results, 1991.
- <S3> SSF54491 Unpublished document: Millward J. 2007. An Assessment of the East Coast Martello Towers.
- <S4> SSF54136 Unpublished document: Sommers, M., & Breen A. 2002. Desk based Assesment, HMS Ganges, Shotley, SLY 113.
- <S5> SSF54548 Unpublished document: Aitkens, P.. 2003. A report on the Historic features at HMS Ganges Site, Shotley Peninsular.
- <S6> SSF59942 Index: Historic England. Related Archives/Objects from NRHE. AF00253 East Coast Martello Towers, Essex and Suffolk.
- <S7> SSF60065 Bibliographic reference: Sutcliffe, S. 1972. Martello towers.
- <S8> SSF59814 Index: DoE. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
- <S9> SSF54492 Bibliographic reference: Mead, H P. 1948. The Martello Towers of England.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Record last edited
Jun 30 2021 12:02PM