Monument record IPS 197 - Barclays Bank, Thoroughfare, Ipswich, (IAS 2302).
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 1626 4457 (26m by 24m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1977: Watching brief recorded pits and recovered Ipswich ware, Badorf type ware and Thetford type ware (S1). Hand digging revealed Late Saxon, early Medieval rubbish pits, but no features of Middle Saxon date identified (S2, S3).
Medieval pipkin, buff earthenware, yellowish glaze inside. Reconstructured from fragments found in excavations in the Throughfare, Ipswich (S4).
- <S1> SSF56958 Source Unchecked: Newman J. 1987. SAU, Newman, J 1987.
- <S2> SSF55934 Index: Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service. 1974. Ipswich Archaeological Survey Card Index (digital version).. IAS 2302.
- <S3> SSF50068 Index: Suffolk Archaeology Unit. 1974. SAU index card and Archive. IAS 2302.
- <S4> SSF57815 Machine readable data file: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 2017. Ipswich PMED Records Spreadsheet.
- FSF2310: POTTERY IPSWICH (Middle Saxon - 650 AD to 849 AD)
- FSF2311: POTTERY THETFORD (IPS: Early Late Saxon to 12th century - 850 AD to 1100 AD)
- FSF2312: POTTERY CONTINENTAL IMPORT (Late Saxon - 850 AD to 1065 AD)
- FSF2313: POTTERY (12th century to 14th century - 1101 AD to 1300 AD)
- FSF39524: ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 10 2017 12:23PM