Monument record RKN 013 - Field OS 159
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 0178 7262 (50m by 50m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||RICKINGHALL INFERIOR, MID SUFFOLK, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Black patches, Rom pottery and glass found on field 159 off Nobles Lane, revealed after ploughing to 18 inches depth during November 1955. Basil Brown investigated site, which he took to be large settlement site as the fields surrounding field 159 were also covered with black patches. The largest patch was excavated in a trial by Basil Brown and is described as a large hut site, 40 feet in diameter, which contained much pottery, including Samian sherds, green glass from a drinking vessel and half of a very fine white hammer headed rim mortarium. The mortarium was found overlying the skeleton of a horse, 2.5 feet below ground surface. All of the artefacts were found within the hut area. Basil Brown thought a pottery kiln might be in the vicinity due to the amount of pottery found, but he did not locate this in the trial excavation and the site was not revisited (S1)(R1).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 4 1988 12:00AM