Monument record MNL 083 - Aspal Hall, Holywell Row
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7017 7746 (146m by 100m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
|Civil Parish||Beck Row, Holywell Row and Kenny Hill, Forest Heath, Suffolk|
Type and Period (2)
Site of Aspal Hall (demolished) (S1) with three sides of moat (of rectilinear form) remaining (S2). Dry and reduced by housing development. S arm destroyed (?), existing three arms are 7m wide and up to 2m deep. The W arm has suffered mutilation through garden development and a modern road has bisected the N arm (and the central area). Likely to be further reduced by continued development (S1, 1971).
The manor once belonged to Sir Robert de Aspal (died 1326) (S3) and was sub-manor of Mildenhall.
Report on history and future management of Aspal Park compiled for Suffolk Wildlife Trust, January 1995 (S4).
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NW35, 1971.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site report.
- <S2> SSF54455 Bibliographic reference: 1911. VCH Suffolk 1. 614.
- <S3> SSF10884 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E A, Suffolk Minor Place Names, 1985.
- <S4> SSF20796 (No record type): SAU, Sussams K & Martin E, January 1995.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 13 2018 2:51PM