Monument record MNL 121 - Cooks Drove, West Row Fen; F2b; OS Field 0065 (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 6590 7759 (110m by 88m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Bronze knife with trapezoid tang with two corner rivet holes and two side notches. Narrow blade with elliptical section and slight damage. One rivet hole incomplete. Traces of moulding have been largely hammered out. A slight sharpening bevel in places. Length 11.0 cms. Found by (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s).
Originally recorded as MNL 060.
Scatter of worked Neo & BA flint, pottery, animal bone found and a burnt flint patch (BA?) of about 30m diameter at (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s) by fieldwalking between 1965 and 1986 by C Pendleton. BA finds include pottery, mainly collared urn, a plano-convex and a bifacial flint knives and various scrapers, worked flint etc (S6).
For other BA finds in same field, see MNL 130 and MNL 235 and in adjoining field, see MNL 223.
- <M1> SSF38960 (No record type): Photographs: AEL 12-13.
- <S1> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Archaeol in Suff, 1968, PSIA, 31, 1968, (2), 196.
- <S2> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card BA, 1968.
- <M2> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S4).
- <S3> SSF15702 (No record type): Pendleton C F, The Distribution of BA Metalwork in NW Suffolk, BA dissertation, Nottingham, 1985, nu.
- <M3> SSF38962 (No record type): Excavation archive: MNL 130, part copy of (S6).
- <S4> SSF15720 (No record type): Pendleton C, `A Catalogue of the Prehistoric Metalwork from West Row', Mss, unpublished, 1979.
- <S5> SSF12126 (No record type): Norman P, 1984.
- <S6> SSF15772 (No record type): Pendleton C, Finds Catalogue & sketch maps, 1965-1988, unpublished.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Feb 6 2009 11:31AM