Poorly Located Find Spot record MNL 1002 - West Row General, Mildenhall, (Mesolithic)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 71 74 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Pre 1954: Adze from the area of Forty Farm (MNL 1123)
1965: Tranchet axe found by Colin Pendleton.
Pre 1977: 6 tranchet axes, 1 perforated pebble hammer, 2 microliths (all in Moyses Hall Museum);
Tranchet Axe and Blade (or flake) in Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Cambridge.
Pre 1927: Tranchet axes in the British Museum, .
Material previously associated with this record for unknown reasons:
2 perforated antler `axes' and a large perforated red deer antler tool (this is actually MNL 006) from Mildenhall Museum, (S1).
One of the perforated antler tools (MIHLM SF/B/29) was found at Fordham Moor, Cambridgeshire. The other (MIHLM 74/5/MN) is 15.5 cms long and has no surviving details of a findspot due to the loss of the original museum catalogue (S2, S3).
Formerly recorded as MNL MISC and MNL 038.
- <S1> SSF23378 Bibliographic reference: Wymer, J.J. & Bonsall, C.J.. 1977. Gazetteer of Mesolithic sites in England and Wales, CBA Research Report 20. 262.
- <S2> SSF59586 Museum Record Card: Mildenhall Musem. 74/5/MN. MIHLM, card 74/5/MN.
- <S3> SSF11286 Museum Record Card: Mildenhall Musem. SF/B/29. MIHLM, card SF/B/29.
- <S4> SSF59354 Bibliographic reference: Billington, L, P.. 2016. Lithic Scatters and Landscape Occupation in the Late Upper Palaeolithic and Mesolithic: A Case Study from Eastern England.. M 1121.
- <S5> SSF59353 Digital archive: Jacobi, R.. 2014. Palaeolithic and Mesolithic Lithic Artefact (PaMELA) database. 11656-11660, 11672, 11673, 11644, 11655, 11640, 11641, 11642, 11643, 11645, 11227.
- <S6> SSF23370 Personal Correspondence: Wymer J J,. Unknown Source.
- FSF3352: BLADE? (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF3391: TRANCHET AXEHEAD (Early Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 8000 BC?)
- FSF3392: PEBBLE MACE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- FSF3393: PERFORATED OBJECT (Mesolithic - 9000 BC to 4000 BC)
- FSF3394: OBLIQUELY BLUNTED/PARTIALLY BACKED MICROLITH (Earlier Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 7000 BC?)
- FSF51727: ADZE (Mesolithic - 9000 BC? to 4000 BC?)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Interpretation: Enhancement of the Suffolk HER for the Palaeolithic & Mesolithic Periods (ESF26899)
- Event - Intervention: Systematic Fieldwalking Survey? West Row General, Mildenhall, (ESF27707)
- Event - Intervention: Systematic Fieldwalking Survey? West Row General, Mildenhall, (Ref: Bell) (ESF28151)
- Event - Intervention: Systematic Fieldwalking Survey? West Row General, Mildenhall, (Ref: Pendleton) (ESF27706)
Record last edited
Aug 4 2020 1:19PM