Monument record MNL 014 - Hurst Fen Neolithic site (BA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 724 768 (408m by 451m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MILDENHALL, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Hurst Fen Neolithic site.
1983: Site of partially excavated Neo settlement (S2).
Spring 1988: Fieldwalking produced long barbed and tanged arrowhead and a plano-convex knife. Two other barbed and tanged arrowheads had been found on previous occasions by the finder. Of the thousands of scrapers many have resembled EBA forms and similarly many of the profuse scatter of flakes could be BA in date (S1).
March/April 1997: Surface find of 'slug-knife'. Also one beaker sherd (S1)(S3).
Also Mes & Neo.
- --- SSF59583 Article in serial: Clark, J. G. D.. 1960. Excavations at the Neolithic Site at Hurst Fen, Mildenhall, Suffolk.
- <S1> SSF18106 (No record type): Per SAU (Pendleton C), September 1988 & May 1997.
- <M1> SSF50016 Scheduling record: English Heritage. Scheduled Ancient Monument file. SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S3> SSF50018 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Finds Report. King J per SAU (EM), Finds Report, July 1999.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Apr 21 2020 2:26PM