Monument record LKH 066 - Earthwork enclosure, Lakenheath Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7524 8020 (325m by 296m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
One of four earthwork enclosures on Lakenheath Warren - see LKH 063-065. `TL 753 801, lies on gentle sloping ground SSE of Lakenheath Lodge (LKH 115) near the S edge of the Warren. It is slightly trapezoidal and covers about 12 acres. The surrounding bank is 20 to 25 feet wide and up to 2 feet high. There is no indication of an entrance but a number of later tracks cross it' (S2)(S1). Mapped in (S2).
First recorded by Watt in 1940 (S2)(R1).
Circa 1945: in open landscape - in area of wind-blown sand on RAF AP.
1980: area shown as lightly tree covered on OS map.
April 1995: field survey as part of Brecks Survey failed to locate enclosure. Much natural regeneration of Scots Pine with heavy grass heath cover (S3).
March 1996: Relocated and replotted on HER maps after (S4).
1999: AP shows thin tree cover.
A terrier of 1649 requires the warrener to 'support and relieve the said coneys in the time of winter with hay and all other necessary feedings' and it may be the four internal rectangular earthwork enclosures on Lakenheath Warren were used to grow crops. Each enclosure is about 11 acres, is bounded by low banks of no more than 2 feet high and has traces of ridge and furrow. The banks are of sand, small flints and lumps of chalk (S6).
Feb 2013: visited (EM & CP) - could not identify on ground despite being plotted as an upstanding earthwork by the OS (although it wasn't depicted on earlier mapping!).
Probably Med cultivation enclosure within Rabbit Warren.
2010: The Breckland Society's survey of The Warrens of Breckland mentions four enclosures with low surrounding banks on the warren, which may have been for the cultivation of fodder for the rabbits (S5).
See LKH 174 for Lakenheath Rabbit Warren
- --- SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <R1> SSF22890 (No record type): Watt A S, `Studies in the Ecology of the Breckland IV', Journ Ecol, 28, 1940, 43-48.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SE21.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: copy (S3).
- <S2> SSF4216 (No record type): Crompton G & Taylor C C, `Earthwork enclosures on Lakenheath Warren, W Suffolk', PSIA, 32, 1971, (2).
- <S3> SSF20806 Suffolk County Historic Environment Record: Sussams, K.. April 1995. Brecks Survey. SAU, Sussams K, Brecks Survey, April 1995.
- <S4> SSF21104 (No record type): SCC, APs, 1:10000 vertical cover, 38 86 118, June 1986, SROI.
- <S5> SSF50315 Bibliographic reference: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A Survey by The Breckland Society.
- <S6> SSF58553 Unpublished document: Mason, A.. 2009. The Archaeology of the Warrens of Thetford Forest.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 2 2021 2:52PM