Poorly Located Find Spot record LKH 497 - Findspot of an Iron-Age bronze brooch
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 7 8 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze brooch of late Hallstatt type, later C6 & C5 BC, with reduced boat- shaped bow with knobs, long catch-plate and moulded finial. BM, from Greville Chester collection, 1854 (S1)(S2).
Described as `bow stout, with the three knobs on a rhomboid centre between low mouldings, each with a mushroom head on moulded stem, pin and its attachment missing, foot with decoration..., terminal knob on quintruply- moulded stem' Probably modern introduction or false provinance (S3)(R1-5).
Formerly recorded as LKH MISC
- <R1> SSF364 (No record type): Arch J, 7, 1850, 404.
- <S1> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Lakenheath EIA.
- <R2> SSF17625 (No record type): Ridgeway W R & Smith R A, PSAL, 21, 1906-1907, 113.
- <S2> SSF3628 (No record type): Clarke R R, `IA in Norf & Suff', Archaeol J, 95, 1939, 31 & 97.
- <R3> SSF7205 (No record type): Guide to EIA, 1905, BM, 99, fig 91.
- <S3> SSF7660 (No record type): Hull M R & Hawkes C F C, Corpus of Ancient Brooches in Britain, BAR, 168, 1987, 33, plate 13.
- <R4> SSF7203 (No record type): Guide to Early IA Antiquities, 1925, BM, 92, fig 91.
- <R5> SSF6593 (No record type): Fox C, The Archaeol of the Cambridge Region, 1923, 74.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:47AM