Poorly Located Find Spot record LKH 516 - Findspot of an Anglo-Saxon disc brooch
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||TL 7 8 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||LAKENHEATH, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Disc brooch with backward-looking beast. 0.9 inch diameter, o.05 inch thick. Badly cast. Border of 43 sub-triangular beads. Perfect hinge and catch (S1)(S2).
Probably same as `bronze disc brooch with milled edge (Rom?) showing figure of animal in relief' purchased in 1916 (S3) (also listed under Misc Rom), and `Undley, "a rude bronze representation in the round of an animal form, with reverted head, with two, studs for fastening to a metal plate" dated to La Tene I? Also stated as being in Cambridge Museum (S4)(S5).
Formerly recorded as LKH MISC
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78SW55.
- <S2> SSF50042 Bibliographic reference: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology. PSIA, 30, 1965, (2), 170-171, pl 25d.
- <S3> SSF15596 (No record type): PCAS, 21, 1916-1917, 106.
- <S4> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Undley IA.
- <S5> SSF6594 (No record type): Fox C, The Archaeol of the Cambridge Region, 1923, 75.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
May 21 2020 8:47AM