Monument record BUN 007 - Town Ditch

Please read our .


Earthwork shown on OS 1:10560 map 1957 running from TM 3320 9000 to TM 3335 9012. Probable med town ditch.


Grid reference Centred TM 332 900 (161m by 136m) (Centred on)
Map sheet TM39SW


Type and Period (4)

Full Description

Earthwork shown on OS 1:10560 map 1957 running from TM 3320 9000 to TM 3335 9012. Now destroyed (S1).
A deep ditch extended E and W to two bends in the river Waveney cutting off Outney Common from the town of Bungay and materially strengthening the N defences of the castle. It has been suggested that the ditch might be a Rom work, but there is no positive evidence of this, and it may have been dug by the Bigots (sic), who used the materials obtained to raise the huge barriers of earth around their castle (BUN 004). Bungay was granted to Roger Bigot soon after Domesday by the Conqueror (S2) (quoting (R1)).
An anonymous undated map in Bungay Museum, approximately 1:2500, reproduced in the Bungay Castle guide, shows this as "Tower Ditch" (see last paragraph) and traces it SE and SW to encircle the probable Med town line superimposed on 1: 10560. The topographical situation would support this classification (that is for the whole of the distance it is shown as running along the high crop above a flood plain) rather than Suckling's suggestion above. Modern development has now removed all evidence of the work. (Colquhoun F D, FI, 1 April 1968)(S2).
3 copies of Bungay Castle guide in parish file show map as "Town Ditch" rather than "Tower Ditch" as stated by (S2).
For town ditch also see BUN 018 & BUN 025.
1st (S3) & 2nd (S4) edition OS maps call it "Roman Remains" but 3rd (S5) ed., it is referred to as earthwork remains.

Sources/Archives (8)

  • <S1> (No record type): SAU (Martin E), 1983.
  • <R1> (No record type): Suckling Reverend A, History and Antiquities of Suffolk, 1, 1846, 131.
  • <M1> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: Bungay Castle guide.
  • <M2> (No record type): APs: NAU TM 330 896/899/900, 1974; TM 332 900 1974; TM 334 902 1974.
  • <S2> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TM39SW11, 1968.
  • <S3> Map: OS. OS Map. 1st edition OS map. C.1880..
  • <S4> Map: OS. OS Map. 2nd edition OS map. C.1901.
  • <S5> Map: OS. OS Map. 3 edition OS map. C.1911.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

Record last edited

Oct 31 2005 11:46AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.