Monument record BRD 001 - River Little Ouse, Brandon
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7858 8688 (51m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Bronze narrow side-looped spearhead. Slight blade wings. Lozenge section blade mid-rib. Socket mouth badly damaged. Length 12.8 cms. Found `in mud of Little Ouse' river (S1). Presumably from dredgings, although findspot shown as on edge of marshy area next to river (S2). The 1958 OS card has recorded this findspot, apparently after an A R Edwardson entry on an OS 6 inch map of (?)(S6). However, this location is some 160m from the river and seems much less likely than that in (S2).
- <R1> SSF12925 (No record type): OS, 6 inch record map, A R Edwardson entry.
- <S1> SSF15904 (No record type): Pendleton C, The Distribution of BA metalwork in NW Suffolk, BA dissertation, Nottingham, 1985, numb.
- <S2> SSF2561 (No record type): BSEMH, 6 inch record map, sheet VI SE, A R Edwardson entry, undated.
- <S3> SSF56287 Article in serial: Smedley, N. and G. W. P. Jarvis. 1956. Archaeology in Suffolk 1956. Archaeol in Suff, 1956, PSIA, 27, 1956, (2), 113.
- <S4> SSF3381 (No record type): CBA, Gp 7 bulletin, 3.
- <S5> SSF5643 (No record type): Edwardson A R, BA metalwork in Moyses Hall Museum, 1968, number 42, plate 2.
- <S6> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NE7, 1958 & 1976.
- <S7> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Record last edited
Feb 24 2021 2:37PM