Monument record BRD 005 - Cropmarks and former earthworks of probable Bronze Age round barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7629 8686 (45m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Ring ditch, circa 35m diameter (S1).
February 2017. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks and former earthworks of this previously recorded ring ditch, probably representing the remains of Bronze Age round barrow, are visible on aerial photographs (S1-S3). The site survived as slight earthworks in 1947 (S2). Although the Environment Agency 1m resolution lidar data (S4) suggests that the site is now largely levelled. See also the nearby site of BRD 275 for other possible related sites.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 13th February 2017.
- <M1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. APs: CUCAP OA 3,4, VS 89, VT 10,12.
- <S1> SSF50031 Photograph: CUCAP. CUCAP aerial photograph. CUCAP, APs OA 3,4, 1944; VS 89, 1857; VT 10,12, 1957.
- <S2> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1952 FS 2202-2203 25-MAR-1947 (HEA Original Print).
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap86 44 4386147-4386148 01-AUG-1986 (Print).
- <S4> SSF55747 LIDAR Airborne Survey: LIDAR airborne survey. LIDAR TL7686 Environment Agency 1m DTM 30-NOV-2010.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2019 11:54AM