Monument record BRD 008 - Fenhouse Farm; Phillips `E', `F' & `G'; Field A, B & C (Rom)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7408 8707 (822m by 431m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Part of important Rom site, probably a continuation of BRD 007 to S and also BRD 010 & 039 (field system). Unploughed. First recorded by Briscoe (S1) or Fowler in 1948 (S2)(S3)(R1). Note Fox (1923) also records finds from general area (S3)(R2).
1948: Briscoe `examined dock and dockside' (Phillips `G') and excavated `among tesserae' (BRD 008 or 007?) - finds listed include tesserae, tooled stone, marble and glass. Also notes `earth circle in corner of wasteland grass (? Phillips `E')(S1).
1949: Briscoe trenched `big nettle patch' (Phillips `F') & mapped `apparent layout of houses' (S1). Whereabouts of map unknown.
For earthworks & cropmarks, see Un.
1979: Partial fieldwalking survey by J Plouviez. Area of cropmarks in pasture field, very undulating with scatters of large flints (& modern brick) on surface. Scatter of building debris visible in SE corner (roof tile, oolitic limestone, some embedded). Circular earthwork on W side of scatter roughly surveyed. Roof & box tile fragments on interior surface. Further finds from W side of large ditch (Phillips `G')(S4).
1979-1981: Surface & metal detecting finds include brooches, small pewter dish, potery, large limestone & roofing tile fragments, some of which noted in situ in peaty soil in tree planting furrows as was possible floor-surface (S4).
1982: Following shallow ploughing of E field, linear spread of small building rubble, chalk, tile & pottery reported and planned - probably represents remains of trackway. Also find of bronze enamelled model axe form plate brooch (see 'Not to be published on web' tab for finder/s and/or findspot/s).
Detail in (S6)
Note impressive surviving earthworks & cropmarks in W field - see Un. Note Leylands Farm Rom site on Norfolk side of river. Also see scheduling information.
Also IA & Sax.
- <S1> SSF1506 (No record type): Briscoe Lady G, diaries for 1948 May 15, Nov 6,11,22,23, Dec 5,11; 1949 March 26, Sept 5,7; 1950 Mar.
- <R1> SSF4155 (No record type): Correspondents 6 inch map, G Fowler entry, pre 1939? (R2) Fox C, Archaeol of the Cambridge Region, 1.
- <M1> SSF50072 Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: site reports, sketch maps, drawings, correspondence.
- <M2> SSF36731 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NW3, 1950,1971,1972 entries.
- <S3> SSF16348 (No record type): Phillips C W (ed), The Fenland in Roman Times, 1970, 248.
- <S4> SSF20680 (No record type): SAU, Plouviez J, Site Reports, BRD 007 & 008, April 1979 to March 1982.
- <S5> SSF5244 (No record type): DOE, Scheduling information, 12 February 1985.
- <S6> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH, 35 (2), 1982, 159-160.
- FSF5003: VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5004: (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5005: ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5006: ROOF TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5007: FLUE TILE (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5008: POTTERY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5009: POTTERY SAMIAN (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5010: POTTERY NENE VALLEY (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5011: BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5012: POTTERY OXFORD (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- FSF5013: VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (4)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Briscoe Lady G (Ref: Briscoe Lady G) (ESF14903)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Briscoe Lady G (Ref: Briscoe Lady G) (ESF16005)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Phillips C W) (Ref: OS (Phillips C W)) (ESF12117)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (JP) (Ref: SAU (JP)) (ESF13380)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2012 5:10PM