Monument record BRD 018 - Chequer Meadow; Staunch Meadow (IA)
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7794 8658 (412m by 263m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Middle Saxon Occupation on Chequer Meadow (S3).
In 1940 Clarke lists this site in his gazetteer of IA sites:- `Large cemetery in low mound some 80 yards S of River Little Ouse in Staunch Meadow. Age doubtful. Skeletons of horses & fragments of iron also found...' (S1, 95, see also 44). Located at TL 7783 8655 in (S2)(R1). Also doubtfully ascribed to the IA by Fox (S2)(R2). Formerly recorded as BRD 013. However, this probably relates to the Sax or EMed cemetery - see Sax, Med & Un.
1980-1988: Excavations by SAU located traces of buried soils & IA ? plough marks, pits and post holes, with flint tempered ? IA pottery. Details of finds in excavation archive (R3).
Summary details in (S4).
Also Rom, Mes, BA, Med, Pmed & Un.
- --- SSF50116 Bibliographic reference: Carr R D, Tester A & Murphy P. Antiquity. 62 (235), June 1988.
- --- SSF50298 Unpublished document: Woodhouse, H.. 2008. Geophysical survey of land at Staunch Meadow, Brandon.
- <S1> SSF3637 (No record type): Clarke R R, `The IA in Norf & Suff', Arch Jour, 95, 1939, 44 & 95.
- <M1> SSF37120 (No record type): Excavation archive:.
- <R1> SSF4157 (No record type): Correspondents 6 inch map, R R Clarke entry, 4 July 1949.
- <M2> SSF37121 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NE1 & 29.
- <R2> SSF6547 (No record type): Fox C, Arch of the Cambridge Region, 1923, 77 & 114.
- <S3> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <R3> SSF6198 Excavation archive: Suffolk County Council Archaeologcial Service. 1989. Staunch Meadow, Brandon. Excavation archive.
- <S4> SSF50250 Article in serial: Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History. PSIAH 35 (1) p 78 1981.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2013 5:27PM