Monument record BUN 013 - Butter Cross
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 3363 8977 (50m by 50m)|
|Civil Parish||BUNGAY, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A circular Jacobean structure on pillars of oak, with a lead roof surmounted by a lead figure of justice with a pair of scales in her right hand. Its date is about 1680 (S1).
1689: Octagonal on plan. Rom Doric wood columns and entablature with lead covered domed roof, wood pedestal supporting a lead figure of Justice weighing 18 cwt. Columns now supported on stone plinths but originally the area of the cross was raised on steps, the columns rested on wood bases and in the centre was a prisoner's cage for temporary detention of delinquents. This case was removed in 1836 and the steps in 1863 when an earlier dungeon was discovered underneath, said to be the remains of the earlier cross destroyed by the fire of 1688 (S1).
1981: Monument in good condition. Only apparent vandalism is graffiti on the oak pillars which are painted white. Doctor Kane informed me that the leading on the roof of the cross had been repaired fairly recently (S1). 1991: Said to be maintained (S2).
- <R1> SSF16083 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner N & Radcliffe E. 1974. The Buildings of England: Suffolk. Pevsner N, The Buildings of England, Suffolk, 1975, 123.
- <M1> SSF42290 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S1> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <S2> SSF21762 (No record type): Suff Pres Soc Survey 1991.
- <S3> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
- <S4> SSF59830 Source Unchecked: RCHME?. Various. Field Investigators Comments. F1 FDC 20-MAR-68.
- <S5> SXS50145 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. 1984. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. DOE(HHR) Bungay U.D. Suff. 2.8.72 33..
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 20 2021 3:33PM