Monument record BRD 026 - Circular enclosure or ring ditch of unknown date, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7729 8665 (87m by 83m)|
|Civil Parish||BRANDON, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Circular cropmark. `Information from R R Clarke and air photographs taken on 9 June 1946' (S1)(R1). `Nothing visible on OS APs' (S1)(R2). 1979: Not visible on the ground. Field walking on site, ploughed field, provided no finds or soil discolouration (S1). OS record map, taken from (R1) shows large circle circa 80m diameter. Does this represent the cropmark or the general area of the cropmark as indicated by G Briscoe ?. Further information in G Briscoe archive?
Similar information to BRD 027.
February 2018. 'Brecks from Above' and Breckland National Mapping Programme.
The assessment of the aerial photographs for the NMP mapping in this area did not reveal any clear trace of this previously recorded enclosure or ring ditch. See BRD 265 for cropmarks identified in this area.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 1st February 2018.
- <R1> SSF11206 (No record type): MIHLM, 6 inch correspondents record map, Lady G Briscoe entry, 1951.
- <M1> SSF36771 (No record type): G Briscoe archive:.
- <S1> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL78NE45, 1976 & 1979.
- <S2> SSF15258 (No record type): OS, record map, TL 78 NE, entry 45.
- <R2> SSF330 (No record type): APs, OS 71/216 059-60.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 11 2018 3:29PM