Monument record SOL 003 - Cropmarks of probable Bronze Age round barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5008 9686 (25m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||SOMERLEYTON, ASHBY AND HERRINGFLEET, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
Single or possibly double ring ditch, circa 20m diameter, flanked by two linear ditches (part of SOL 011) and adjacent to two other ring ditches (Somerleyton 004 and 005) (S1-S5).
January 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The cropmarks of a ring ditch, probably representing the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow, are visible on aerial photographs (S6- S8). The ring ditch is centred on TM 5008 9686 and is 22m in diameter and appears to form part of a barrow group/cemetery (SOL 045), see record for more details. The ditches mentioned above are recorded within SOL 002.
The above entry suggests concentric ring ditch, although no clear evidence of this was identified. Two possible internal pits were clearly visible on the oblique aerial photographs, although these were not mapped, as other pit-like features in the area were apparent and the archaeological origin was uncertain – although it is entirely possible that the pits visible on for example (S7) are contemporary and represent interments.
S. Horlock (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 15th January 2014.
- <S1> SSF11769 (No record type): NAU, APs, TM 5097/B/AC52, 1975, TM 4996/E/AFP11, 1976, TM 5096/N/ AMD17, 1978, TM 5096/U/AXJ15, TM 5.
- <M1> SSF39371 (No record type): APs: NAU TM 5097/B/AC52, TM 4886/E/AFP11, TM 5096/N/AMD17, TM 5096/U/AXJ15;.
- <S2> SSF18930 (No record type): SAU, APs, AGF 03, 15 July 135, AGG 26, AGN 13,14, 1977.
- <M2> SSF39372 (No record type): SAU AGF 03, AGG 26, AGN 13,14.
- <S3> SSF21076 (No record type): SCC, AP 4386 182 (vertical), 1986.
- <S4> SSF50106 Photograph: Air Photographs. NAU, AP, TM5096/HXV11, 12, 13, & 14.
- <S5> SSF50153 Bibliographic reference: Email. Michael Page to Colin Pendleton, 18 Aug 2010, with AP.
- <S6> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. NLA 10028/25 01-AUG-1977 (EHA).
- <S7> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap86 44 4386181-4386182 01-AUG-1986.
- <S8> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. NLA 5352/13 16-JUL-1984 (EHA).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 24 2014 8:42AM