Monument record REY 081 - Undated cropmarks of linear ditches and possible Bronze Age ring ditch
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 4860 7886 (432m by 371m)|
|Civil Parish||REYDON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (8)
- DITCH (Unknown date)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Unknown date)
- RING DITCH (Unknown date)
- ROUND BARROW? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- FIELD BOUNDARY? (Roman - 43 AD? to 409 AD?)
- OVAL BARROW? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
- ROUND HOUSE (DOMESTIC)? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC? to 701 BC?)
March 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
A possible Bronze Age ring ditch and two undated linear ditch features are visible on aerial photographs (S1-S4) to the north of Rissemere Lane East, Reydon. The ring ditch, centred on TM 4875 7894 may represent a Bronze Age round barrow, measuring approximately 39m in diameter. It has been previously recorded by the NMR under NMR number TM 47 NE 46.
The fragmentary linear ditches may or may not be related to the ring ditch, and since the field also contained a number of geological features showing as cropmarks, it was difficult to be certain of the extent of the archaeology. Two possible oval ditches were also visible in the south-west corner of the field, and whilst these may relate to oval barrows or possible roundhouses, it is also possible that they are geological in nature.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 27th March 2014.
- <S1> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR 23305/22-23 25-SEP-2003 (EHA).
- <S2> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. NMR 23281/33-37 25-SEP-2003 (EHA).
- <S3> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 03-AUG-2007 ACCESSED 20-MAR-2014.
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RC8 FR 83-8414-JUL-1983 (CUCAP).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 9:25AM