Monument record REY 038 - World War Two military strongpoint, east of Reydon
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5058 7742 (317m by 342m)|
|Civil Parish||REYDON, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A section of zig-zag trench c 90m long can be seen adjacent to a field boundary in a field east of Reydon on a 1941 aerial photograph (S1). It is surrounded on 3 sides by a barbed wire obstruction, forming some kind of military strongpoint. The features would appear to be of World War II date.
March 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
The monument polygon for this site has been extended, since another section of zig-zag trench is visible in the south of the area, at TM 5071 7730, and further earthwork ditches have been noted across the site (S2-S4).
A possible pillbox is also visible at TM 5058 7727 (S5), although this could not be confirmed.
Trenches were still visible at the site in 1952 (S4), but are now levelled.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 27th March 2014.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2BC/BR173 FrmB11 17-Jun-1941.
- <S2> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/2BC/BR173 VB 11-12 17-JUN-1941 (EHA).
- <S3> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/S524 V 1-2 21-SEP-1941 (EHA).
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/106G/UK/929 RS 4072-4073 16-OCT-1945 (EHA).
- <S5> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/540/705 V5372-5373 09-APR-1952 (EHA).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM47NE. AONB Study Area. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Lothingland, Greater Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 6642) (ESX22033)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 9:19AM