Monument record COV 141 - Cropmarks of undated linear ditches
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 5090 8233 (785m by 639m)|
|Civil Parish||COVEHITHE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
May 2014. Lothingland, Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths National Mapping Programme.
Cropmarks of undated linear ditches are visible on aerial photographs (S1-S4) on land to the north of Field Farm, Covehithe.
The cropmarks are faint and fragmentary in places and are visible against a background of geological marks, but may relate to field boundaries, trackways and/or possible enclosures, and may represent a multi-period site. Two ring ditches (SHER COV 007 and WRE 005) were also recorded within the field, and the linear ditch that can be seen cutting through the southern ring ditch (COV 007) corresponds to the parish boundary depicted on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (S5). Other marks in the field were considered likely to be geological in origin.
E. Ford (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 8th May 2014.
- <S1> SSX55041 Oblique Aerial Photograph: Oblique Aerial Photograph. SFU 11560/GD/24 01-JUL-1977 (EHA).
- <S2> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap86 33 3886209-3886210 30-JUN-1986.
- <S3> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. Suffolk County Council Archaeological Service Airmap96 13 220-221 29-SEPT-1996.
- <S4> SSX55025 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical Aerial Photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 21-MAY-2011 ACCESSED 29-APR-2014.
- <S5> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: 'Sensitivity to Access' assessment for Natural England Coastal Access project, February 2016. (ESF23524)
- Event - Interpretation: TM48SE/58SW. AONB Study Area. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Lothingland, Greater Lowestoft and North Suffolk Coast and Heaths (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 6642) (ESX22035)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2014 7:47AM