Monument record BNC 050 - World War II anti aircraft obstruction ditches, visible as earthworks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 52891 83679 (382m by 382m)|
|Civil Parish||BENACRE, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A group of World War II anti aircraft obstruction ditches are visible form 1940 as earthworks southwest of Beach Farm, at TM 528836. The group forms a perpendicular patten and consists of the individual sections of ditch and the mounds of spoil which line the sides of each ditch (S1-2). By 1943, a number of weapon pits had been dug into the mounds and ditches (S3). The eastern ditches were levelled by 1945 (S4) and the remaining features had been levelled by 1952 (S5).
Initially numbered as BNC 025 during pilot survey of intertial area. Also given duplicate number (now deleted) as BNC 036. Re-numbered Nov 2004 as BNC 050.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2/BR11/14 Frames 50-51.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2BC/BR173 Cam. VJ Frames 3-5.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. AC/165 Frames 5059-5060.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK/930 Frames 4188-4189.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 540/705 Frame 5304.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Jun 14 2013 10:07AM