Monument record LWT 062 - Gunton Warren
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 54772 95777 (44m by 110m)|
|Civil Parish||LOWESTOFT, WAVENEY, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Four gun emplacements are visible on Gunton Warren on 1945 aerial photographs (S1,S2). The emplacements are in a straight line, approx 10m apart, and are joined by a track. There seem to be be some associated structures behind the emplacements, to the west. It seems likely that this feature is a late World War II heavy anti-aircraft artillery emplacement. It does not appear on photographs from May 1944 (S3). The feature can still be seen on aerial photographs of 1955 (S4), but it is heavily overgrown and appears to have deteriorated somewhat. It is also still very faintly visible, still heavily overgrown, on 1999 aerial photographs (S5)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK761 Pt1 Frm6014 2-Sep-1945.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK930 Frm4242 16-Oct-1945.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/LA15 Frm3015 28-May-1944.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. F21.58/RAF/1672 Frm0038 3-Mar-1955.
- <S5> SXS50086 Photograph: Environment Agency Aerial Photography. 55_99_44 Frm0308 4-Sep-1999.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
May 22 2009 2:08PM