Monument record BAW 074 - World War II strongpoint, minefield, barbed wire and pillbox.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 35597 40449 (109m by 104m)|
|Civil Parish||BAWDSEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A World War II strongpoint is visible on aerial photographs taken in the 1940s. There is evidence of some military activity in this area in 1941 but the poor quality of the photograph prevents any further interpretation. (S1) By 1945 a barbed wire obstruction is visible encircling a rectangular pillbox (BAW 175). There may be more than one circuit of barbed wire but the photograph is not clear. The pillbox is at the end of the nearby line of anti-tank cubes (BAW 075). The strongpoint may have been positioned in order to prevent an invasion force approaching around the side of the anti-tank cube line. (S2) The barbed wire has been completely removed by 1948 (S3) but the pillbox is still visible on photographs as late as 1971. (S4)
Roughly square plan minefield enclosed by two barbed wire fences. Hollow centre was occupied by pillbox (BAW 175) (S5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/10 B17 22-JUL-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4426 16-OCT-1945.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/103 5062 27-AUG-1948.
- <S4> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/71030 009 10-APR-1971.
- <S5> SSF54450 Digital archive: Defence of Britain Project archive. UORN: S0006067.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 3:02PM