Monument record DUN 034 - Post Medieval flood defences, visible as fragments of earthwork bank.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 48517 73423 (388m by 235m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Three fragments of earthwork bank are visible to the north and west of Point Marsh on 1945 aerial photographs (S1). The more westerly bank is c60m long, and runs between TM48177322 & TM48237321. The two northerly banks are both 125m long and are separated by a small gap. These banks are depicted as earthworks on the OS 1st Ed County Series 25" map of c1884, in their fragmentary form. It seems likely, given their proximity to a water course, that these banks formed part of the flood defences in this area. Given the depiction of these banks on the 1880s map and considering the fact that a number of banks are depicted on earlier maps, it seems likely that these features date back to the post-medieval period. The earthworks are still visible on aerial photographs from 1955 too (S2).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM