Monument record DUN 065 - World War II military site, comprising two pillboxes, two gun emplacements and other structures and trenches.

Please read our .


World War II military site east of Dunwich Forest comprising two pillboxes, two gun emplacements and other structures and trenches


Grid reference Centred TM 47652 69440 (288m by 184m)
Map sheet TM46NE


Type and Period (5)

Full Description

A World War II military site, centred on TM47676946, can be seen as a group of structures on aerial photographs from 1941 (S1,S2). In 1941 the site consisted of a T-shaped trackway, two structures (possibly pillboxes at TM47676946 & TM47746948), a pillbox at TM47646939 and another probable structure. By 1945, aerial photographs (S3) show that the site had expanded to include 2 trenches and 2 gun emplacements. Also, the 'pillbox' at TM47676946 had been built around and extended into a much larger building. The footings of a radar mast, or similar feature, also seem to be visible in these later photographs at TM47766947. This building is still depicted on recent maps, presumably having taken on a civilian purpose after World War II. None of these features existed in this area on aerial photographs from 1940.
Site of Fighter Direction Station and Coast Defence/Chain Home Low Station. Remains visible on 1981 aerial photograph include an outer protective wall that contained curvilinear building remains at TM477695, and 3 building basesrelating to a domestic camp visible as cropmarks at TM478698 (S4).
The site of a Fighter Direction radar station at Greyfriars that opened in May 1943. Fighter Direction radar was a form of long-range Ground Controlled Interception radar able to reach the northern shores of France in order to aid British fighters on offensive attacks against German aircraft. Greyfriars was an Air Ministry Experimental Station Type 16 and capable of plan position and height finding over a range of up to 200 miles. The station was upgraded in March 1944 with Type 24 centimetric radar, which comprised an aerial assembly 9.1 metres by 1.8 metres with a cabin and fixed plinth. By the 1980s the station had been removed and the only surviving features were an outer protective wall that previously enclosed curviform buildings at TM 477 695 and three building bases visible as cropmarks at TM 478 698 (S5).

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <S1> Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. S/524 H14 Frms19-21 21-Sep-1941.
  • <S2> Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2A/BR165 FrmsA42-A44 18-Nov-1941.
  • <S3> Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK462 Frms2014-2015 30-Jun-1945.
  • <S4> Unpublished document: Anderton, M. J.. 2000. Twentieth Century Military Recording Project. World War Two radar stations.
  • <S5> Index: English Heritage. Pastscape.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (2)

Record last edited

Sep 25 2014 4:11PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.