Monument record DUN 073 - Chain Home Low Station CHL28A
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 47468 68339 (195m by 122m)|
|Civil Parish||DUNWICH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
On 1941 aerial photographs (S1), two practice trenches and a military structure are visible to the north of a system of anti-aircraft trenches (DUN 070) on Dunwich Heath. By 1943(S2), aerial photographs show that a mast has been erected close to the structure at TM47526830- this may have been there in 1941, but it is not clear from the available photographs. It would appear that the site was being used as a radar station, with practice trenches (probably unrelated, although of a similar date) nearby. By 1945 more features are visible at this site on aerial photographs (S3). There is a circular feature, which may be a false datum point for the radar station, adjacent to the mast, at TM47526832. In addition, a cluster of buildings can be seen around TM47456835. These may be associated with the possible radar station, and are veru likely to have had a military purpose. By 1955, aerial photographs (S4) show that the cluster of structures to the north-west of the mast have been removed, but the mast and associated building and circular feature are still standing - although not necessarily being used. Later photographs show that the mast has been removed along with its associated features. These features are of World War II date and would have played a part in the defences of this area during that period.
Two building bases visible at TM478683 on an aerial photograph from 1973 may relate to the former radar station. The large rectilinear outline surrounding the site is the base's original fenced limits (S5).
The site of a Royal Air Force Chain Home Low radar station at Dunwich established by December 1939. It provided early warning for low-flying enemy aircraft approaching the central East Anglian coast. It formed part of the radar warning systems for the key RAF Fighter Command 11 Group during the Battle of Britain. Chain Home Low sites typically comprised two gantries carrying the transmitter and receiver aerial arrays, a transmitter and receiver hut, a standby set house for the reserve power, and a general purposes hut. Defence measures installed at radar stations included Light Anti-Aircraft gun emplacements, pillboxes, road blocks and air raid shelters. Aerial photography from 1973 shows that two building bases are visible at TM 478 683 and potentially more could exist under the scrub. A rectilinear outline shows the original fenced limits of the site (S6).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 2A/BR165 FrmsA44-A45 18-Nov-1941.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. AC165 Frm5073 4-Jan-1943.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 106G/UK929 Frms4166-4167 16-Oct-1945.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. 58/RAF/1674 F21 Frm0211 4-Mar-1955.
- <S5> SSF54928 Unpublished document: Anderton, M. J.. 2000. Twentieth Century Military Recording Project. World War Two radar stations.
- <S6> SSF53735 Index: English Heritage. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1477319.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2016 3:43PM