Monument record SUT 144 - Medieval or Post Medieval boundary and earthwork platform, Cliff Farm, Sutton
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 29410 45990 (193m by 265m)|
|Civil Parish||SUTTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
- BANK (EARTHWORK) (Medieval to 19th century - 1066 AD to 1884 AD (at some time))
- DITCH (Medieval to 19th century - 1066 AD to 1884 AD (at some time))
- BUILDING PLATFORM? (Medieval to 19th century - 1066 AD to 1884 AD (at some time))
- BOUNDARY (Medieval to 19th century - 1066 AD to 1884 AD (at some time))
A Medieval or Post Medieval enclosure boundary and a possible building platform are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs from the 1940s onwards. The earthwork enclosure boundary encircles the western side of the present day Cliff Farm and Cliff Farm Cottage and is visible from TM 29404612 at its northern end to TM 29442498 at its southern end. On the northern and western side the boundary is defined by a substantial ditch but as the ditch runs south a large bank is also visible to the west of the ditch. At the other side of the bank another ditch is visible running parallel, which then turns a right angle and heads west towards the river. This ditch could be part of a drainage system. To the east of the boundary, at TM 29494596, a small earthwork platform, measuring 10m by 6m is visible. This may be a buidling platform. (S1, S2) Neither the boundary earthwork or the platform are marked on the Ordnance Survey 1st Edition map of circa 1884, suggesting that the features predate this survey. (S3) The boundary and building platform may however be remnants of the buildings and enclosure patterns shown on the map of Sutton parish in the early 17th Century. (S4)
More extensive earthworks visible on 2015 Google Earth coverage
- --- SSZ54999 Vertical Aerial Photograph: various. Google Earth.
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 3075-6 23-SEP-1945.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/113 Part III 5263-4 30-AUG-1948.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S4> SXS50104 Map: Peter Warren. circa 1984. Sutton Parish in the early 17th Century. From Norden (1600-1) and Haiward (1629-31).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Apr 10 2019 1:24AM