Monument record HLY 063 - Post Medieval sea bank on the western side of Orford Haven.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 37582 44633 (1167m by 1321m)|
|Civil Parish||HOLLESLEY, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A Post Medieval sea bank is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, centred on circa TM37584463 in Hollesley parish. This section of bank runs north-east for roughly 2 km from TM 36824408, just north of the sluice on Barthorp's Creek, to TM 37974529 on the western side of Orford Haven. A shorter stretch of bank is visible to the south, running inland from the main bank, for just under 250 m from TM 37334431 to TM 37124442 (S1). This bank forms part of a much longer continuous sea defence earthwork and abuts a longer, presumably earlier stretch of bank at circa TM 38184534 that continues northwards through Boyton parish (see BOY 059). However, the northernmost 500m of this bank, and the southern circa 650m of BOY 059 appear to be superseded at sometime before 1884 by nearly 700m of bank that extends the reclaimed area of saltmarsh by circa 1.5 hectares (see HLY 084). All of these banks are depicted on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey 25" maps of circa 1884 and 1904, suggesting that these sea and flood defences are of Post Medieval date. By 1945 this bank has been interrupted by a drainage channel at circa TM37784481, with HLY 084 Now forming the main flood bank. (S1-S3)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4436-4437 16-OCT-1945.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jul 30 2013 12:20PM