Monument record ADB 129 - Post Medieval mineral extraction pits.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 45261 56620 (42m by 62m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
A mineral extraction pit of probable Post Medieval date is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs from 1943 onwards, centred on circa TM45295662 (S1). The pit is marked on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1884, but is not annotated (S2). It is marked on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map of 1904 as a Crag pit, crag being a shelly/sandy mineral deposit (S3), and appears to be significantly larger than in 1884, suggesting a continued use. The pit is just visible on photographs of 1952 in an overgrown state (S4). The pit appears to be in use again from 1968 to 1969, but by 1972 appears to be out of use and has possibly reverted to pasture (S5-7)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 5048-5049 30-Dec-1943.
- <S2> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1884.
- <S3> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". 1904.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/877 5247-5248 21-May-1952.
- <S5> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/68144 22-23 31-May 1968.
- <S6> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/69070 19-20 05-Apr-1969.
- <S7> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/72057 1-2 24-Mar-1972.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2013 3:55PM