Monument record ADB 155 - World War II anti-tank cubes.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 46791 58303 (112m by 104m)|
|Civil Parish||ALDEBURGH, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A row of Second World War anti-tank cubes are visible on aerial photographs as structures to the east of Sluice Cottage, formerly Windmill Cottage, Aldeburgh, centred on circa TM46795830. The row of cubes is approximately 210m long, and encompasses Sluice Cottage and the eastern end of an old sea bank (see ADB 107) within a D shaped enclosure. The cubes also bridge a gap between two anti-tank ditches (see ADB 106 and ADB 060). The cubes are visible under construction in July 1940, and can be seen in their completed state and deployment by December 1941. They would have been part of the wider system of anti invasion measures taken during World War II. In this instance they probably extra protection for the vulnerable area between the two anti-tank ditches and prevented access from the beach along the old sea bank. The cubes are visible in October 1946, but have been removed by 1952.
Halfway House (Sluice Cottage), Thorpe Road, Aldeburgh. Reversed 'L'-plan line of anti-tank cubes. [Plotted from aerial photographs](S5).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2/BR11/14 6-7 08-Jul-1940.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 2A/BR167 8-9 17-Dec-1941.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/929 4307-4308 16-Oct-1945.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 540/705 5474-5475 09-Apr-1952.
- <S5> SSF54450 Digital archive: Defence of Britain Project archive. UORN: S0006228.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Record last edited
Sep 25 2013 4:05PM