Monument record NAC 092 - Post Medieval boat hard.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 18346 40445 (27m by 130m)|
|Civil Parish||NACTON, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A Post Medieval boat hard is visible as an earthwork and structure on aerial photographs, located at TM 18344045 in the inter-tidal zone of the River Orwell near Bridge Wood, Nacton. The boat hard is just over 130m in length and consists of an earthwork bank with possible internal timber revetting. (S1) (S2) (S3) It is recorded on the 2nd edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of circa 1904 as an 'Old Boat Hard' and though not recorded on the earlier 1st edition 25" Ordnance Survey map of circa 1884 is seems likely that the feature was omitted rather than constructed after that date. (S4) (S5)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/115 5183 30-AUG-1948.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 543/1879 F21 0177-0178 25-SEP-1962.
- <S3> SSF50066 Photograph: OS, AP. NMR OS/88132 210-211 28-MAY-1988.
- <S4> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 20/06/03.
- <S5> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". Sarah Newsome 20/06/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 20 2013 1:53PM