Monument record WHR 057 - A Post Medieval boat hard is visible on aerial photographs close to Bourne Bridge in the River Orwell
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 16365 41992 (166m by 161m)|
|Civil Parish||WHERSTEAD, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A Post Medieval boat hard is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs taken from the 1940s onwards, located at TM 16374200 close to Bourne Bridge in the River Orwell. The boat hard is at least 230m in length and the end that protrudes into the channel is slightly curved. (S1) (S2) The boat hard is depicted on the 1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey 25" maps of circa 1884 and 1904 (S3) (S4) as well as the modern base map, suggesting that the boat hard originated in the Post Medieval period and may have continued in use well into the 19th century. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1937 5231-5232 18-JAN-1947.
- <S2> SXS50090 Photograph: Meridian Airmaps Ltd. Meridian - Air Photograph. NMR MAL/65094 017-018 03-NOV-1965.
- <S3> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. circa 1884.
- <S4> SXS50094 Map: Ordnance Survey. c 1904. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 2nd edition. 25". circa 1904.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 25/09/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2004 4:56PM