Monument record CHF 022 - Site of Second World War military camp in Sudbourne Park
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 40726 51269 (1683m by 698m)|
|Civil Parish||CHILLESFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
A series of temporary structures, probably military tents, are visible on aerial photographs of 1943 located at the edge of a field and arrayed parallel to a tree lined driveway to the east of Chillesford lodge, centred on circa TM400512 (S1). Twenty one structures in all can be seen, of about 14 x 6m size. By September 1945 they have all been removed, with only disturbed ground and crops visible (S2). It is possible, though unlikely, that the temporary structures are agricultural in nature. Similar structures are also visible circa 200m to the east, but these are out of the survey area.
December 2015. Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty National Mapping Programme.
The Second World War military camp described above is visible as huts or tents, sports fields, tracks and disturbed ground on aerial photographs (S3)-(S5). In addition to what has already been mapped, the main clusters of huts/tents and activity have been mapped by extent. They include rows of huts or tents along the main drives through the park, and a sports (football?) pitch in the grounds behind the hall (at TM 4097 5101); the extant cricket pitch in front of the hall has not been mapped. The hall itself was used as an officers’ mess (S6). Most visible elements of the camp had been removed by 1945, and it is not known whether any parts of it still survive.
S. Tremlett (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 9th December 2015.
- <S1> SXS50085 Photograph: USAAF. USAAF Air Photograph. US 7PH/GP/LOC132 5039-40 30-DEC-1943.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/832 3175-6 23-SEP-1945.
- <S3> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. US/7PH/GP/LOC132 V 5040-5041 30-DEC-1943 (EHA Laser Copy).
- <S4> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/832 RP 3175-3177 23-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S5> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. RAF/106G/UK/832 RS 4175-4176 23-SEP-1945 (EHA Original Print).
- <S6> SSF56084 Web Page: http://sudbourne.onesuffolk.net/our-village/history/.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (2)
Related Events/Activities (2)
- Event - Interpretation: Suffolk Coast and Intertidal Zone NMP Project (EXS18033)
- Event - Interpretation: TM45SW. Mapping Block 2: Iken to Sudbourne. NMP National Mapping Programme Project for Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (Ref: English Heritage Project No. 7085) (ESF23194)
Record last edited
May 9 2022 11:53PM