Monument record CHF 034 - Location of a Medieval quarry, visible as a cropmark.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 37967 51771 (161m by 154m)|
|Civil Parish||CHILLESFORD, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Two relict quarry or mineral extraction pits of possible medieval date and a probable associated ditched enclosure and track can be seen on aerial photographs of 1972 as cropmarks and possibly slight earthworks, centred on circa TM37975178 to the north of Lost Carr, Chillesford parish (S1). The quarries are visible as sub-rectangular cropmarks in an area of pasture, circa 30 x 50m and 16 x 20m in size. The larger, northernmost quarry appears to have previously been located within an enclosure that may have at one time been ditched, or been surrounded by a boundary such as a fence or hedge, which was subsequently removed creating a ditched feature that we can now see as a cropmark. A probably trackway or road about 7m wide can be seen in the same way, approaching the quarry enclosure's north-west corner. If the quarry and enclosure are indeed related, then the quarry outgrew its accommodation on the southern edge and crossed the boundary. The second smaller quarry is located about 33m to the south of the first. The orientation of the enclosure and trackway appears to respect the surrounding field system that is probably Post-Medieval in origin, but neither quarry is marked on the first or second edition Ordnance Survey maps of circa 1884 of 1904 (S2, S3). It is possible therefore that the quarries had there origins in the medieval or early Post-Medieval period.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 28 2013 9:52AM