Monument record ARW 045 - Post Medieval sea bank, visible on aerial photographs.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 22182 33869 (838m by 518m)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
A Post Medieval sea bank is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs running from TM 225341 to TM 216336 along the northern bank of the River Stour in Arwarton parish. (S1) (S2) The eastern end of the sea bank is depicted on the map of Erwarton Estate by William Chapman dated 1770 (S3) and the rest of the bank is depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey 25" map of 1881 (S4). It is likely that the whole length of sea bank was constructed at sometime before 1770. See ARW 046 for the short stretch of bank nearby. (S5)
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1492 3069-3072 10-MAY-1946.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1937 1250-1251 18-JAN-1947.
- <S3> SXS50144 Map: Chapman, W.. 1770. Estate of Doweger Lady Chedworth in Erwarton. Traced from original.
- <S4> SXS50088 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1880s. Ordnance Survey 25 inch to 1 mile map, 1st edition. 1881.
- <S5> SXS50100 Verbal communication: Newsome, S.. 2001 -. Suffolk Coastal NMP Project. Sarah Newsome 03/12/03.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:46PM