Monument record ARW 059 - Remnants of a possible Later Prehistoric or Roman landscape.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 22866 34809 (625m by 474m)|
|Civil Parish||ARWARTON, BABERGH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
Remnants of a possible Later Prehistoric or Roman landscape are visible as cropmarks of ditches on aerial photographs, centred on TM 22833480 to the south west of Shotley in Arwarton parish. A number of double-ditched trackways are visible on a similar alignment running north-west to south-east centred on TM 23073499, TM 22783484 and TM229737747. These do not appear to relate to the modern or Post Medieval landscape pattern (ARW 059) and the orientation of the trackways appears to be similar to that of the Prehistoric or Roman features recorded to the east of the site (ARW 020). A number of linear ditches which are perpendicular to the trackways may also be part of the possible Later Prehistoric or Roman landscape. The partial cropmarks of two possible rectilinear enclosures located at TM 22573460 and TM 22773459 could be related to this earlier landscape but their orientation suggests that they could fit into the Post Medieval landscape just as easily. (S1-S5)
- <S1> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2235/3 (956/376) 07-JUN-1976.
- <S2> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2334/8 (935/86) 22-JUN-1976.
- <S3> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2234/3 (RHF 11477/150/4) 20-JUL-1976.
- <S4> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2234/10 (EXC 19093/15) 09-JUN-1997.
- <S5> SSF50025 Photograph: Essex County Council. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2334/32 (EXC 19093/14) 09-JUN-1997.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Jun 7 2013 1:50PM