Monument record IPS 489 - World War II heavy anti-aircraft artillery battery H12 and camp.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 20343 41906 (300m by 448m)|
|Civil Parish||IPSWICH, IPSWICH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (5)
A Second World War Heavy Anti-aircraft Artillery battery and associated camp can be seen on aerial photographs of the 1940s, as four earthwork gun emplacements and a variety of structures, centred on circa TM203418, Priory Heath, Ipswich. The battery appears to have been constructed within a complex of aircraft obstructions (see NAC 081). The Command Post is located at circa TM20234182, the four earthwork gun emplacements arrayed on its eastern side. The gun sites are connected to a tented camp to the north-east by a metalled track, which exits onto Felixstowe Road. Numerous smaller paths connect the guns and camp to smaller structures and slit trenches. (S1).
Site of Second World war heavy anti aircraft battery at Nacton Heath, which was armed with four 3.7-inch mobile guns with GL Mark II radar in 1942. It was manned by 336 Battery of the 104th Royal Artillery Regiment. (S2)
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Oct 17 2013 1:04PM