Monument record RMA 028 - A rectilinear ditched enclosure of unknown date is visible as a cropmark on the Rushmere Heath golf course, Rushmere St Andrew parish.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 19946 45061 (63m by 74m)|
|Civil Parish||RUSHMERE ST ANDREW, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (3)
A rectilinear, double-celled ditched enclosure of unknown date and function is visible as a cropmark on the Rushmere Heath golf course, Rushmere St Andrew parish, centred on circa TM199450. The enclosure appears to be of two phases. These consist of a playing card shaped rectangular enclosure, approximately 30 by 40 metres in size, orientated north-west to south east, centred on circa TM19934507, with a second, similar sized but possibly sub-divided enclosure extending from its he south-eastern edge, centred on circa TM19954504. The function of the enclosure is unclear, but the subdivision of the second enclosure may have been for stock enclosure. The enclosures are not marked on the First Edition Ordnance survey map of circa 1884, and are already visible as low earthworks on aerial photographs of the late 1940s, and probably therefore predate the 19th century (S1-S4).
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
Aug 18 2010 2:05PM