Monument record BUC 075 - Ditched trackways, field boundaries and enclosures, dating probably from the later Prehistoric period, visible as cropmarks.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TM 24804 41734 (612m by 723m)|
|Civil Parish||BUCKLESHAM, SUFFOLK COASTAL, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
Cropmarks of ditched trackways, field boundaries and enclosures, dating probably from the later prehistoric period but possibly continuing in use into the medieval period, are visible on aerial photographs to the east of Bucklesham village, Bucklesham parish, centred on circa TM248417. It is probable that a number of phases of land use are visible. The extant field boundaries curve around the eastern side of Bucklesham village and it is apparent that the cropmark boundaries are aligned on a curvilinear route which continues from the modern boundaries, to meet at the line of Main Road. It is probable that the extant field pattern was influenced by the layout of the field boundaries now visible as cropmarks, laid down probably in the later prehistoric period. Curvilinear field boundaries and tracks can also be seen curving around Bucklesham village to the north-west and south-west, and may be part of the same pattern of land use. Current field patterns and routes within this outer ring do not follow this curved pattern and probably evolved from the growth of Bucklesham in the medieval period. A number of ring ditches, including BUC 028, formerly recorded as part of BUC 013, can be seen in this area. Adjacent to the possible small round barrow BUC 077, two small sub-square enclosures, circa 8 to 10 metres square, are located at TM24734159. The function of these features is unclear but they may irregularly shaped barrows. (S1-7)(S8).
- <S1> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/22 4056-7 06-JUL-1944.
- <S2> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/LA/34 4058-9 15-AUG-1944.
- <S3> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1635 4012-3 09-JUL-1946.
- <S4> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/80 PART II 5199-5200 28-JUL-1948.
- <S5> SSF50005 Photograph: RAF. Air Photograph. RAF 58/80 PART II 5232-3 28-JUL-1948.
- <S6> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2441-2 27-JUL-1975.
- <S7> SSF50073 Photograph: National Monuments Record. Air Photograph. NMR TM 2441-3 27-JUL-1975.
- <S8> SSF58519 Unpublished document: Martin, E.. 1976. Prehistoric Crop-Mark Sites in Suffolk.
- <S9> SSF58525 Unpublished document: Martin, E. A. and Plouviez, J.. 1978. Prehistoric and Roman Cropmark Sites in Suffolk.
- None recorded
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Record last edited
May 3 2018 3:51PM