Monument record IKL 001 - How Hill Round Barrow
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7598 7627 (46m by 45m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (2)
Large surviving round barrow.
Shown on Hodskinsons map of Suffolk 1783 & OS 1st edition of 1843.
1923: Letter from W G Clarke, dated 18 February 1923 to C Fox, states that a `cinerary urn (had been) found (there) and broken up' (S1)(S7).
Circa 1953: Scheduled 4 February 1953. An undated form AM7 records `about 10 ft in height and 120 paces round. Stands by the Trunk Road and has also been crossed by military vehicles within recent years' (S2). Inspected in 1954 (S5).
1972: 34m diameter, 2m high. `A partly refilled excavation trench c. 3.0m wide runs across the mound from E-W. A clump of firs stands upon the barrow'. No traces of a ditch (S3).
1976: 28.3m diameter, 2.1m high. At edge of cultivated field. Ten fir trees growing on it, summit clear with signs of mutilation. 89m circumference (barrow survey)(S6).
1980: Erosion has occurred on E side - possibly connected with military vehicles mentioned above (S2).
1983: `1m high with flat top', with 10 live and 1 dead fir tree (S2). 1987: One tree fallen down, nothing visible in root hole. Eight trees remain, two of which are leaning and one is broken (S2).
Note BA burials to S, IKL 029.
February 1998: Scheduled area revised(?) - details in (S2).
- <S1> SSF1488 (No record type): Briscoe Lady G, `BA burials at How Hill, Icklingham', PCAS, 48, 1955, 6.
- <R1> SSF3700 (No record type): Clarke W G, Note in Cambridge University Museum, 18 Feb 1923.
- <M1> SSF46732 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <M2> SSF46733 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S2> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
- <M3> SSF46734 (No record type): Photograph: ABU 001.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NE3, 13 January 1972.
- <S4> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. list.
- <S5> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham, undated.
- <S6> SSF20250 (No record type): SAU, Photograph, ABU 001, January 1976.
- <S7> SSF6560 (No record type): Fox C, Archaeol of the Cambridge Region, 1923, 326.
- FSF23095: POTTERY (Undated)
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (5)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF13974)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13896)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Ref: DOE) (ESF13329)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13691)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF14001)
Record last edited
Jul 7 2019 5:39PM