Monument record IKL 002 - Bernersfield Farm; Upper Berners
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7867 7530 (34m by 36m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (1)
Round barrow, part of group of (8?) - see IKL 003-005, 049, 072-074. ? One of four recorded on Hodskinsons map of Suffolk, 1783 (S1). Not one of four or "Western most tumulus " (probably IKL 003 or IKL 073!) on OS 1st edition map of 1843 (S2).
In 1872 Henry Prigg excavated the westernmost tumulus of the Bernersfield Farm group - it seems likely this relates to IKL 073 rather than this barrow, especially as the siting of IKL 002 is shown as a small plantation in 1843 (S2) and Priggs 1872 westernmost barrow was situated in a "field" (S3)(S4).
1935: `About 35 yards diameter and 3 ft high. Has pines growing on it' (S8). 1954: `Large mound, 4-5 ft high, covered with scrub' (S9). 1962: `About 30.0m in diameter and 1.2m high, in ground recently re- afforested' (S5); `80 ft diameter, 3ft 6 ins high. Uncultivated' (S6). 1976: 25m diameter, 1.25m high. Area afforested but trees on mound are dead. Low and spread (S7)(S6).
1977: 28m diameter, 0.9m high. On edge of disused pit and partly afforested (S5).
1981: `In copse with young pines and grass. Height estimated at barely 2 ft' (S6).
April 1998: Scheduled area revised - see (S6).
- <M1> SSF47074 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <R1> SSF7194 (No record type): Grinsell L V, Ancient Burial Mounds of England, 1936, 183.
- <S1> SSF7578 (No record type): Hodskinson R, Map of Suffolk, 1783, Suff Rec Soc Reprint, 15, 1972.
- <S2> SSF12432 (No record type): OS, 1 inch map, 1st ed, 1843.
- <M2> SSF47075 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF2978 (No record type): Bury & Norwich Post, note, 17 Sep 1872.
- <S4> SSF9965 (No record type): J Brit Archaeol Assoc, 30, 1874, 195-196.
- <S5> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NE10.
- <S6> SSF5242 Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information. April 1998.
- <S7> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. 68, list.
- <S8> SSF12173 Museum Record Card: Norwich Castle Museum. Various?. NWHCM.
- <S9> SSF50070 Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham, undated.
- <S10> SSF59794 Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (7)
- Event - Intervention: Excavated by Prigg H (Ref: Prigg H) (ESF15991)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF14015)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF14003)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Ref: DOE) (ESF13351)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (PAS) (Ref: OS (PAS)) (ESF13978)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by OS (Phillips A S) (Ref: OS (Phillips A S)) (ESF13703)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13902)
Record last edited
Oct 26 2021 10:07AM