Monument record IKL 003 - Bernersfield Farm

Please read our .


Round barrow, part of group of (?8) - see IKL 002, 004-005, 049 & 072-074. Scheduled.


Grid reference Centred TL 7877 7530 (39m by 39m)
Map sheet TL77NE


Type and Period (2)

Full Description

Round barrow, part of group of (?8) - see IKL 002, 004-005, 049 & 072-074. Recorded on Hodskinson's map of Suffolk, 1783 (S1) and on OS 1st edition map of 1843 (S2).
Henry Prigg excavated each of the four (recognisable) barrows, IKL 003, 004, 005 & ? 073, in July 1866 (largest)(S9), Autumn 1871 (two tumuli adjacent to the `westernmost of the group') and September 1872 (westernmost)(S9)(R2). It is not clear which was the `largest', but this is presumed to be IKL 005 or the `westernmost' (either 003 or 073) which is presumed to be IKL 073. No details of the excavations of the two adjacent tumuli east, other than a reference to Henry Prigg junior - "who, it may be remembered, at this time last year explored the two adjacent ones of the series" (S10)(R2).
1935: 30-35 yds diameter, 2-3 ft high (S4).
1954: "Hardly noticeable mound by side of grass bank - fir tree in middle (S8).
1962: 30m in diameter, 0.4m high, much reduced and spread by ploughing. SW side mutilated by a trackway, NE is under cultivation (S5). 75 ft diameter, 3 ft high with fir tree on it. Partly cultivated (S6).
1976: 25m diameter, 0.55m high. Fir tree growing on it. Very low and spread (S6)(S7).
1977: `About 36.0m in diameter by 0.9m high'. N half spread by ploughing and SW side mutilated by a trackway (S5).
1981: Almost completely eroded by ploughing to E and tractor to W. Pine tree on it (S6).
April 1998: Scheduled area revised - see (S6).

Sources/Archives (16)

  • <M1> (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
  • <R1> (No record type): Grinsell L V, Ancient Burial Mounds of England, 1936, 183.
  • <S1> (No record type): Hodskinson R, Map of Suffolk 1783, Suff Rec Soc Reprint, 15, 1972.
  • <S1> (No record type): J Brit Archaeol Assoc, 30, 1874, 195.
  • <S2> (No record type): OS, 1 inch map, 1st ed, 1843.
  • <R2> (No record type): Bury & Norwich Post, September 17, 1872.
  • <M2> (No record type): SAM file:.
  • <M3> Unpublished document: Suffolk Archaeological Service. Parish file. Parish file: (Lackford) transcription of (S9); copy (S3).
  • <S3> (No record type): J Brit Archaeol Assoc, 30, 1874, 195.
  • <S4> Museum Record Card: Norwich Castle Museum. Various?. NWHCM.
  • <S5> Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77NE10.
  • <S6> Unpublished document: Department of the Environment. Scheduling information.
  • <S7> Bibliographic reference: Lawson A J, Martin E A & Priddy D. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. 68, list.
  • <S8> Index: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham, undated.
  • <S9> (No record type): Prigg H, Notebook No. 2, SRO (Bury), Acc No. 1202, 1866 entry.
  • <S10> Digital archive: Historic England. National Record Of the Historic Environment.

Finds (0)

Protected Status/Designation

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (6)

Record last edited

Oct 26 2021 10:10AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.