Monument record IKL 028 - Bronze Age Round Barrow.
Please read our guidance about the use of Suffolk Historic Environment Record data.
|Grid reference||Centred TL 7899 7462 (26m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||ICKLINGHAM, FOREST HEATH, SUFFOLK|
Type and Period (4)
1783: Shown on Hodskinsons `Map of Suffolk' (S1) and on OS 1st edition in 1843.
1935: Bowl barrow with no visible ditch. 2.5 ft high, diameter about 30 yards (S2).
1954: Inspected in 1954 - "mound about 2 ft high and 40 yds in diameter, in ploughed field, but not ploughed. In no danger (S7).
1962: 29m NW-SE by 27m transversely and 0.5m high. Situated in cultivated field but protected by fence. Fair condition (S3).
1976: Low & spread, 33.5m diameter & 0.58m high. Grassed but is situated in a ploughed field, unfenced (S4)(S5)(S6).
1981: 90 feet diameter by 3 feet high, as above with mole & rabbit disturbance (S6).
S of group of (?7) barrows, IKL 002-005, 072-074.
June 1998: Scheduled area affirmed - details in (S6).
August 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
A probable Bronze Age Round Barrow is seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs (S8-S9). The barrow can be seen well on the 1970s aerial photographs (S8) and is also visible on recent (2018) aerial photographs (S9). The barrow is in close proximity to further scheduled barrows (IKL 004 and IKL 005) approximately 650 meters to the north and is mapped on the Frist Edition Ordnance Survey map (S10). The SHER monument polygon has been updated to correlate with the position of the barrow from the aerial photographs.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 19th August 2019.
- <M1> SSF47085 (No record type): Barrow survey archive:.
- <S1> SSF7528 (No record type): Hodskinson J, (ed Dymond D P), The County of Suff 1783, Suff Rec Soc, 15, 1972, (4).
- <S2> SSF12173 (No record type): NWHCM.
- <M2> SSF47086 (No record type): SAM file:.
- <S3> SSF50032 Index: OS. OS Card. OS, card TL77SE31. A S Phillips, Aug 1962.
- <S4> SSF10945 (No record type): Martin, E.A.. Martin E, SAU, Suffolk Barrow Survey, 1976.
- <S5> SSF5522 Bibliographic reference: Martin, E.. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. (4), list.
- <S6> SSF5224 Unpublished document: DOE scheduling information.
- <S7> SSF50070 Museum Record Card: Ipswich Museum. IPSMG card. IPSMG, card Icklingham.
- <S8> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. OS/76060 V 258-260 24-MAY-1976 (HEA Original Print).
- <S9> SSF55745 Vertical Aerial Photograph: Vertical aerial photograph. EARTH.GOOGLE.COM 03-AUG-2007 ACCESSED 18-SEP-2013 (Digital).
- <S10> SSX55043 Map: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Map. Frist Edition Ordnance Survey Map.
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (6)
- Event - Interpretation: Map Sheets TL77NE/77SE/87NW/87SW, Mapping Block 3: Breckland Aerial Investigation & Mapping (NMP) Project (ESF27300)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE & Edwardson A R (Ref: DOE & Edwardson A R) (ESF13704)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Corbishley M) (Ref: DOE (Corbishley M)) (ESF14006)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by DOE (Paterson H) (Ref: DOE (Paterson H)) (ESF13981)
- Event - Survey: Site Visit by SAU (EM) (Ref: SAU (EM)) (ESF13905)
- Event - Survey: Survey by OS (25 inch) (Ref: OS (25 inch)) (ESF14667)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2020 3:18PM